MATH-315 / 5 credits
Teacher: Monod Nicolas
We study topological groups. Particular attention is devoted to compact and locally compact groups.
Topological groups, subgroups and quotients. Examples, connected, totally disconnected, profinite. Haar measure. Some fundamental theorems about locally compact groups.
MATH-220, Metric and topological spaces
MATH-211, Théorie des groupes
By the end of the course, the student must be able to:
- The student will develop a deep understanding of the fundamental concepts related to topological groups.
Ex catherdra lecture and exercise sessions.
Expected student activities
Following the lecture.
Working over the material of the course independently.
Attending the exercise sessions.
Attempting to solve all exercises and writing up the result of these attempts.
In the programs
- Semester: Spring
- Exam form: Written (summer session)
- Subject examined: Topological groups
- Lecture: 2 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks
- Exercises: 2 Hour(s) per week x 14 weeks